Friday, March 20, 2009

A Vietnamese Man?

Had another very nice lunch with my client. With director’s husband being retired, they often take turns cooking, Today, it was the Director. Lunch has always been a traditional Vietnamese lunch with bowls of rice, one or two kinds of meat, vegetables, and broth – followed by several types of fruit. Have had a variety of seafood, but often not sure what kind. It may be better that way. As one of my team mates put it – broth can be friend or foe – you never know what may be lurking in the depths of the bow1.

After lunch, we ended up with 5 women talking around the table. (The Director, One of the daughters and a univ, friend, my interpreter and me). Some how we got onto the topic of what souvenir I’d like to remember my visit to Vietnam. I asked what was suggested – and the director jokingly suggested that maybe I should bring a man to US from Vietnam. There was much laughter and kidding around. As the discussion continued somehow the Director came up with the suggestion that I could take her husband back with me – for free – no strings attached. I was even reminded that he was a very good cook as well. I know I didn’t follow all of the discussion – and I’ll never know - but we all had some great laughs!

Some of the comments I was told were ‘secret’ – because my interpreter was laughing too hard to translate! By the end of the conversation – I think it was decided that I should be the ‘2nd wife’.

No comments:

Post a Comment