Thursday, March 26, 2009

Dinner with my Interpreter and family

My last evening in Haiphong, I was invited to the home of my interpreter. We arrived by motorbike, through narrow roads winding thru residences. Once there I joined in preparation of our dinner of chicken hot pot. I’m glad I was given job of peeling potatoes and carrots – rather than cutting up the whole chicken. I was introduced to members of the family as they arrived home from work and several cousins and aunts. I also got out my balloons and made swords and cats & dogs for several kids. (both young & old).

Dinner was served traditional style sitting on floor in family room. We feasted on a number of dishes – continuing to cook some of dinner in hot pot. I was able to sample new wines as well - two varieties. One was made from banana that was very mild. The other one I think had variety of roots /medicinal ingredient. Was told it was very healthy.

The family also had a couple of cats that were very talkative – reminded me of cats at home. All in all – this was excellent way to conclude my experience in Haiphong.

No comments:

Post a Comment