Monday, March 16, 2009

Motorbikes!

My brother would like all the motorbikes here. They significantly out number cars. My first motorbike ride was in Hanoi to the police station. I have now had a couple of rides to return to the hotel at the end of the day. Not surprising, but you do notice more details around you when on a motorbike. (By the way, both trips I wore a helmet – as so most of the riders). I’ve been watching families ride on bikes, Not unusual to see 2 adults and 2 small children riding on one bike. You also see infants being carried in arms of passengers on motorbikes/motorcycles. A little scary to see – particularly given all the safety car seats / booster seats I’m used to in the US. Today I noticed a couple of safety items. One was a mother with toddler strapped to her waist – sitting behind her on the bike. Another way kids ride is standing between the handle bars and the seat – with parents legs on either side of the child.
I’m still amazed by the number of people on motorbikes – and all the supplies that get transported. (50lb bags of rice / cases of soda / propane tanks – you name it – anything goes.)
Oh – one more thing to mention about motorbikes – many people wear face masks. After my few experiences – I understand. Without the mask – you end up tasting grit in your teeth from the road. Its best to keep you mouth shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment