Thursday, March 5, 2009

Challenges providing content for the client

I was very anxious this am. I really want to be able to provide useful material to my client / family, Yet much of the content is unfamiliar. Over breakfast, Jo shared a summary she has created for her client that I may been able to use as well. I really have to remember to go one step at a time. The husband of my client picked me up again this am. His English is better than my Vietnamese – but that metric doesn’t really measure up. He can say good morning / hello /. Goodbye. We are using more non-verbal cues that anything. I’m very appreciative of how welcoming everyone has been.

When I arrived at the home business – Ngoc greeted me. She had worked on idea I had the prior day to help with a card/label for individualized uniforms. This cards have been hand written in past, and contain student name along with various items. We worked on it alittle more, and have ended up with a pretty decent version of an automated process to create this document. It felt like a little win – between us, we got it figured out. Next step for the day was experimenting with a pivot table for summarizing data – but not sure this is the better solution. I think we may need a template that can automatically create the summary – rather than needing to understand pivot tables. Time will tell as I understand more.

Today at lunch, I was invited to spend an overnight with my family/client. Not sure when that will be orchestrated or what experiences that will bring, but I’m afraid singing and rice wine will be involved. Sounds like my client’s husband enjoys signing and I don’t think he is the only one. I have shared that I like to sing as well. Regarding the rice wine - somehow I’ve been recognized as enjoying rice wine and they have observed that I can drink it! So far, this has been a daily part of lunch at the family home. (of course followed by a nap before we get back to work).

No comments:

Post a Comment