Thursday, February 26, 2009

The journey begins

Hi - My name is Debbie Perry and this is my first blog entry for Vietnam Team 3. (or Haiphong Blue Team). At the moment, I’m on a plane flying to Hanoi. I can hardly believe this day has arrived. I’ll briefly share how I got to this point. It started back when I noticed a w3 entry discussing opportunities with IBM’s new Corporate Service Corp, and I decided to apply. I knew competition would be difficult – but somebody has to win the lottery!
On November 18, I got an email informing me that I had been selected for the CSC. On Dec 11 I learned that I would be going to Vietnam. On Dec 18, I joined the first conference call with my new team members.
Since that point, we have all been busy with our ‘day’ jobs, as well as getting to know each other and completing 3 months worth of material to help us prepare. We’ve learned more about cultural differences around the world, issues related to economic development, leadership skills, team building and a variety of other topics. Not only will we be in Vietnam, but the team is made up of IBMers from England, India, Netherlands, Poland, Spain and I’m from the US.
I think its really beginning to sink in how much of an eye opening experience this will be. As I boarded the shuttle bus for the plane to Hanoi from Hong Kong, I heard no one speaking English. And saw only a couple of ‘Westerners’. I’m going to be a significant minority. There have been instances where I was in minority pop – but only for very short periods of time. I realize that it may be this way for the next couple of months, That will take some getting used to. It may mean I actually will keep a journal to share my impressions.

No comments:

Post a Comment